Job: Spatial Data Analyst, Fraym, McLean, VA
Fraym is a geospatial data company that delivers hyper-local insights for 50+ African countries. Their platform helps fast-growing companies, development organizations, and government agencies answer high-priority questions about where to focus and how to reach specific populations. The company’s leadership has focused on the African continent for decades, holding senior positions in The White House, the African Development Bank, the Center for Global Development, and the ONE Campaign. From offices in Lagos, Nigeria, Nairobi, Kenya, and Washington, D.C., Fraym is committed to empowering African businesses and communities through precise, localized data.
The successful candidate will have a strong GIS and quantitative background, experience working with GIS applications (e.g. ArcGIS or R), and an entrepreneurial mindset. Preference will be given to applicants with experience in remote sensing, machine learning, predictive analytics, and/or experience on the African continent.
This position will perform a range of duties including, but not limited to, the following:
• Working with large geostatistical datasets and large household surveys to expand, deepen, and refine our data platform.
• Building and adapting machine learning algorithms to detect geospatial features.
• Supporting customized client engagements (e.g., investors, corporates, policymakers, and development agencies).
• Analyzing image and raster data acquired from sensors, satellites, or ground-based platforms, using statistical analysis software, image analysis software, and advanced Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
• Preparing analytical products, including presentations, briefings, and other materials.
• Supporting the development of product offerings and capabilities such as machine learning applications and data subscription packages.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications and skills:
• Bachelor’s or master’s degree in a related field.
• One or two years of work experience is preferred but not required.
• Training in satellite imagery analysis, spatial surface interpolation, network analysis, and/or other types of GIS analysis.
• Training in statistical methods and/or econometrics is preferred.
• Essential software skills: ENVI/ERDAS, ArcGIS, QGIS, and/or R (e.g. raster, rgdal and caret packages). Other software skills (e.g. python and Stata) are a definite plus.
• Experience working in spatial modeling and image analysis (e.g. TensorFlow/Keras and approaches to texture analysis).
• Outstanding communication and writing skills.
• Entrepreneurial mindset; confidence and can-do attitude; ability to advance discrete projects both independently and as part of a small team.
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interact with senior executives.