Job: GIS Technician, GeoSearch, Inc., Miles City, MT
Miles City, MT 99999 United States
Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming
Full-time, 12 months with option to extend an additional 6 months. W-2 with benefits.
Geospatial Entry Level Technician
We are seeking a GIS Technician to work directly with our federal government client in Miles City, MT. The position will support the client’s field office and will coordinate with staff to assist in developing geospatial datasets and assessing existing datasets for completeness and quality.
Geospatial Data Management/Database Tasks:
- Assimilate existing data, which may exist in multiple formats such as paper records, digital raster products, and digital vector products into geospatial layers that conform to defined data standards
- Convert all formats of data acquired into geospatial files using either file-based geodatabase or a versioned enterprise geodatabase as directed.
- Create, update, and maintain metadata in accordance with Federal Geographic Data Committee (FGDC) and metadata standards
- Reorganize existing geospatial files into defined file structures, consolidating similar datasets and eliminating duplicate datasets
- Assist staff with general data management activities. This may include: Identifying and acquiring data in native formats from field offices. Priority data lists and methods will be provided for the GIS Technicians to work from. This may require exploring, searching, and documenting data via communication with a wide variety of field office staff.
- Prepare maps to demonstrate progress or to illustrate data complexities and issues
- Attend required trainings and orientation as scheduled
- Associate’s degree AND 3 years’ experience OR Bachelor’s degree in a natural resources field.
- Professional experience of greater than 1 year with ESRI’S ArcGIS Desktop software.
- Preference will be given to those candidates demonstrating at least 1year of experience using ArcGIS Desktop10.3 or higher
- Demonstrated professional knowledge of concepts and principles of geospatial data management
- Preference will be given to candidates with demonstrated experience in the following areas
- Demonstrated professional experience assessing and documenting data needs
- Professional experience writing FGDC and/or ISO metadata for vector and/or raster products
Do you know someone who would be interested in this job?