Job: LiDAR Hydrography Technician, GeoSearch, Inc., Portland, OR
LiDAR Hydrography Technician
Portland, OR 97205 United States
Geospatial Mid Level Specialist
We are seeking a GIS Hydrography Technician. The position will focus on the development of new hydrography delineations in Oregon and Washington, using high quality LiDAR-derived Digital Elevation Models (DEMs), imagery, and field collected data, which will be incorporated into the high-resolution National Hydrography Dataset (NHD) and National Watershed Boundary Dataset (WBD). The selected candidate will primarily perform editing of vector hydrography data, validate topologies and publish the updated data to the NHD database.
- Hydro-enforce DEMs where hydrography intersects roads, canals, and other anthropogenic features to ensure accurate hydrologic surface flow.
- Facilitate quality control/assessment reviews of initial delineations by hydrologists using web-based GIS applications.
- Manage data associated with hydrographic modeling. These data include interim raster products, final hydro-flattened/enforced DEMs, breaklines, channel initiation points, etc.
- Maintain critical attributes from existing NHD features while replacing geometry with LiDAR-based delineation
- Perform quality control and adjustments to hydro breaklines, waterbody features digitized from imagery, and hydrologic unit boundaries
- Validate and fixe topological issues in the vector data
- Perform transactional edits on the National Hydrography Dataset (NHD)
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing
- Proficiency with the ESRI ArcGIS version 10.x software suite, including the spatial analyst and network analyst extensions
- Demonstrated experience editing vector-based data in ArcGIS version 10.x software in a production environment
- Familiarity with the high-resolution National Hydrographic Dataset (NHD) requirements and data standards
- Understanding of basic hydrologic science principles
- Experience designing and editing geodatabases with related tables to a state or national standard
- Experience producing and/or maintaining editable feature services in ArcGIS web applications
Preferred skills, but not required:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in the biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management or related disciplines appropriate to the position
- Demonstrated programming experience with Python
- Experience developing and maintaining web-based GIS applications
- Experience performing transactions on the National Hydrography Dataset (NHD) using the NHD update tools
- Experience in hydrography delineation from ortho-imagery
- Demonstrated experience managing, processing, and analyzing raster datasets to model hydrography
Do you know someone who would be interested in this job?