REGIONAL GIS SENIOR MANAGER
County of Solano, California
Annual Salary: $123,718 - $150,381 DOE/DOQ
If you are looking for a stable organization that is poised for the next level of innovation, and you want to lead the charge to assist the County in achieving their goals of becoming the leader in GIS technology to advance all public services in the region, then this is the position for you!
The County of Solano is seeking a Regional GIS Senior Manager to oversee the County GIS division within the Department of Information Technology (DoIT). This position will also lead the County’s regional GIS coordination with other cities, transportation, water and other special districts, joint powers, commissions, committees and other regional GIS partners. This is a full-time position within the County of Solano, that oversees staff and budgets, and reports to the Chief Technology Officer. Not only does this position provide an amazing professional opportunity in a desirable high-tech region, but Solano is also well recognized for quality of life and affordable California living.
DoIT has approximately 110 staff (65 FTE and 45 contractors who support infrastructure) and a combined budget (i.e., Registrar of Voters and DoIT) of approximately $31 million. DoIT serves 18 departments/internal customers encompassing approximately 3,000 employees, a County population of 440,000, and executive leadership and elected officials. Principally a Microsoft environment, additional technology products include Linux, Oracle, ESRI, MySQL, CacheDB, and Informix. On-premise servers are highly virtualized using VMWare and Hypervisor and number approximately 550 virtual servers across two data centers. Over 4,000 desktop/laptops, 200 tablets, 1,000 printers and over 250 business applications are part of the department’s support profile.
The Regional GIS Senior Manager is an at-will, management position that reports to the Chief Technology Officer (CTO) for Solano County, and oversees the staff, budgets, and activities of the GIS division. As the County GIS administrator, you will work with other department leaders in County Administration, Public Works, Sheriff, Planning, Assessor, Human Resources, Economic Development, etc. Additionally, this position will develop and implement the Regional GIS program and become the E911 liaison for GIS activities and communications for all emergency response planning meetings and EOC activations. As the regional GIS lead you will work with cities in Solano, joint power agencies, commissions, committees, and transportation, water and other special districts, etc. This position will work with these GIS partners to develop a one stop shop to collect and store data and produce 3D mapping for regional leaders to make better decisions. A robust regional GIS system will assist emergency management during evacuations, identify transportation needs to underserved communities, identify economic development opportunities, and other services that will improve the quality of life for those living in our community.
The ideal candidate will be interested in working with internal business needs of the organization and improving GIS services to the County and regional partners. Additionally, the ideal candidate should possess a strong customer service orientation, excellent verbal and written communication skills, be business and politically savvy, have a high level of emotional intelligence and be creative, forward thinking, agile, resilient and driven.
Education and Experience – the GIS Manager will also have:
OPTION 1 - Bachelor’s degree & Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree, or higher from an accredited college or university with a major in information technology, engineering, computer science, management information systems, business administration, public administration, project management, mathematics, or a closely related field; AND
• Two (2) years of full-time experience in the class of Systems Analyst (Senior) with Solano County; OR
• The equivalent of three (3) years of full-time experience coordinating the acquisition, implementation and maintenance of information technology systems, infrastructure, programs and/or networking projects including at least two (2) years leading and/or supervising information technology professionals, technical staff, and/or technology contractors; OR
OPTION 2 - Associate’s degree and Experience:
• Associate's degree or higher from an accredited college or university with a major in Information Technology, Engineering, Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Business Administration, Public Administration, Project Management, Mathematics or a closely related field; AND
• The equivalent of four (4) years of full-time experience responsible for and/or project lead on complex infrastructure or systems and programming projects as a Systems Analyst (Senior) with Solano County; OR
• The equivalent of five (5) years of full-time experience coordinating the acquisition, implementation and maintenance of information technology systems, infrastructure programs and/or networking projects including at least two (2) years leading and/or supervising information technology professionals, technical staff and/or technology contractors; OR
OPTION 3 – Training and Experience:
• Relevant coursework and/or technical certification in Computer Science, Information Technology or Management Information Systems, Networks and Communications, Information Security, Information Technology Service Manager, or closely related field; AND
• The equivalent of six (6) years of full-time experience responsible for and/or project lead on complex infrastructure or systems and programming projects as a Systems Analyst (Senior) with Solano County; OR
• The equivalent of ten (10) years of full-time experience coordinating the acquisition, implementation and maintenance of information technology systems, infrastructure programs and/or networking projects including at least two (2) years leading and/or supervising information technology professionals, technical staff, and/or technology contractors.
• Applicant must possess a valid California driver's license, Class C, by the date of appointment.
• Project Management experience, or certificate.
• Demonstrated knowledge of current and emerging technologies.
• Geographic Information Systems Professional (GISP), or Esri Technical Certification.
• Local government experience/knowledge.
• Knowledge of CEQA/NEPA, ITIL, software engineering, GIS, CAD, or other like programs.
• Knowledge of next gen e911
• Knowledge of emergency/first responder radio networks
HOW TO APPLY: for first consideration APPLY by September 28, 2020 at:
SECURE THE DATES:
- Interviews will be held on October 29th and October 30th (candidates invited to interview will need to be available for both days)
Please contact your recruiter, Wendi Brown, with any questions:
• 866-929-WBCP (9227) toll free
• 541-664-0376 (direct)