Job: Geodetic Coordinator/Instructor, GIS Training & Research Center (1280), GGA, Pocatello, ID
Geodetic Coordinator/Instructor, GIS Training & Research Center (1280)
Posting Number: req1049
Working 12 months per year
Office for Research
Pocatello - Main
This position will support the GIS TREC’s long standing geodetic coordination project with Idaho Transportation Department (ITD) and the National Geodetic Survey (NGS) to make strides toward achieving the goal of modernizing and maintaining the National Spatial Reference System (NSRS) and needs of the National Spatial Data Infrastructure (NSDI) throughout Idaho. In addition, this position will advance the geospatial education and research capabilities at Idaho State University for both undergraduate and graduate students and provide education outreach to the geospatial professional community.
For more information about the GIS TREC visit https://giscenter.isu.edu/research/Techpg/GC/index.htm
The successful candidate will serve as the point of contact for questions and concerns regarding geodesy and geodetic control in the State of Idaho. The individual will be a geodetic resource providing geodetic guidance as necessary, for any licensed Professional Land Surveyor or other geospatial professional working in Idaho. The individual will maintain the Multi-state Control Point Database (MCPD). The successful candidate will have demonstrated expertise in understanding, communicating, and working with geodetic data and applications as well as land surveying and will coordinate/facilitate the:
• Perpetuation and maintenance of NGS horizontal control points and vertical benchmarks for Idaho. This includes using Translev and WinDesc software to finalize submittals to the NGS.
• Planning of geodetic control projects in partnership with ITD.
• Development of standards for field surveys using GNSS and digital leveling technologies.
• Establishment, maintenance, and training in calibration baselines with the ITD.
• Stewardship of geodetic control data submitted to ISU for the MCPD.
• Installation of additional GPS/GNSS CORS stations in Idaho as needs are identified and funding comes available.
The successful candidate will participate in geospatial research involving technologies such as GNSS, terrestrial laser scanning (TLS), tectonics, and/or other related studies and be able to obtain external support for such research. The successful candidate must be able to develop and offer geodetic and/or related geospatial workshops or courses and maintain active service at the GIS Training and Research Center as well as the university and broader community.
BS in Geodesy, Geomatics, GIS, Engineering, Surveying, or closely related discipline and Professional Land Surveyor (PLS) licensure along with the ability to obtain PLS in the State of Idaho. The candidate must be able to demonstrate expertise in geodesy. The candidate must be able to demonstrate the ability to work with diverse populations.
• Preference will be given to candidates with:
• MS in Geodesy, Geomatics, GIS, Engineering, Surveying, or closely related discipline
• PhD in Geodesy, Geomatics, GIS, Engineering, Surveying, or closely related discipline
• Demonstrated experience teaching and conducting original research in the fields of surveying, geodesy, or related geospatial science.
• Expertise and recent experience successfully submitting field data to the NGS for geodetic leveling work, including the use of Translev and WinDesc software and having reset monuments published.
• GIS Professional Certification (GISP)
• Expertise/working knowledge of one or more of the following areas:
o Use of geotechnologies software/hardware (e.g. Trimble and/or Leica GPS/GNSS, Terrestrial Laser Scanning, and Esri’s ArcGIS Pro) for resolving highly accurate positioning, understanding of control point networks.
o CAD NSDI, and/or GCDB.
o Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
o Ability to teach graduate and/or undergraduate courses is also preferred.
Apply online at https://isu.csod.com/ats/careersite/JobDetails.aspx?id=1049&site=1
Please submit the following documents with your application:
1) CV with names and contact information of three professional references and 2) a cover letter describing how your qualifications and experience have prepared you for this position along with a statement of your career goals.
The position will remain open until filled. Salary range has been approved from $48,000 to $51,200 annually, commensurate with education and experience. Includes a competitive benefits package. Offers of employment may be conditional pending successful completion of a background investigation.
Idaho State University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We have an institution-wide commitment to inclusion and diversity and encourage all qualified individuals to apply. Veterans' preference. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to individuals with disabilities.